Friday, May 25, 2012

What a Waste!

Since we started to put a budget in grocery, I thought I did pretty good in using up what I bought. I had a few chances to create new dishes just because I need to use up the grocery from the previous shopping trip.

But I am doing not so good recently...




In case you haven't noticed, the white lid on top has a sell-by date of 3/30/11! The Greek yogurt and carrots expired two weeks ago. And the rest just looked yucky.

It is Korean Kimchi inside the bottle with the white lid. I knew that they are there for a long time but I just kept telling myself that they last forever. But with a date more than a year ago, I probably wouldn't dare to touch it and I am finally willing to let it go.

With such a scene, I decided to participate in:





FoodWasteFriday
I don't know if I could manage to participate every week but a regular check up would be nice. While I am there I also found encouragement in three different ways:

  1. There are other people have such food waste too, I am not alone.
  2. Some others manage to have no or very little waste, I have hope.
  3. There are those who post their ways to use up or preserve their food so they don't go wasted, I have more hope.
 So, if you haven't already, check out the Frugal Girl's Food Waste Friday.

Another Lesson Learned

Looking at my waste again, I seemed to make one mistake repeatedly: planning on trying new recipe with an organization project in mind. 

I had the yogurt and cucumber to try a Greek sauce for dipping celery and carrots in. The bananas were for making smoothies. Oh, I almost forget, I also threw away 2 days ago some ribs that were not on the menu but were on sale... 

I purchased these while I was also working on re-organizing my desk area (which I have talked about a million times!) I need to learn my own limits. While these recipes do not take up much time, I just simply cannot focus both at the same time.

Yes, I had started my work on my dream desk. The current state is still pretty awful and far from my dream but it is in the works.

In the mean time, I need to stick with simple meals.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, we all have weeks like this from time to time. I think you can still use up some of this stuff. If carrots are not slimy, you can add them to a stew,same with celery if you trim the yellow parts. And bananas might be still OK inside for a banana bread. Just my 2 cents :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice... too bad though I have already put them in the trash which the trash truck has collected :( But it is still good info for me to learn.

      And I now also learn to keep those "food waste" in the fridge for a day or two after I post about them - maybe they can still be used :)

      Thanks again!

      Delete