Monday, February 21, 2011

Binge Shopping... I did it again ~sigh~

For most women, clothing, shoes, and bags, may become irresistible when they saw them on sale. For me, stationary is my thing... 


Last night, I saw copy paper, photo paper, pens and sticky pads would be free at the store for 2 days only, I started trying to figure out how I could find the time to go buy them. Perhaps, for any other person, it would be good money management, for it is (have I said it yet?) FREE. But for me, I've already had several reams of paper at home while I know we use less than one in a year. I could not even remember the last time we actually print photo at home. I also have collected several dozens of pens from such shopping years ago. And I have so many sticky pads that you can find one from any corner in my home.


I used to be so proud of myself that I had never been a shopaholic. I always use the same bag until it breaks to get a new one. I always wear the same pair of shoes except the other one for special occasions. Okay, I admit, I do have a few more... a snow boots, 2 dress shoes, and a sandals that is about to break but still not many for a women, right? And my side of clothing is about the same as my husband's sides. The last time I bought new clothing was about 3 years ago. When people say, "shop less and you'll have less mess". I never thought it applies to me.


Then, I saw the Story of Stuff right after I purchased a few pads of college lined paper for 1 cent each. I started to realized that even cheap stuff come with a price... on other people and on the environment. I start to become conscious with my bargain stationary shopping. Then, it became clearer and clearer to me that I "bargain" shop a lot and my home is stuffed with consumables like detergent, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes that we could not use up in the next ten years.


So, for me, it was not good money management. It contributes to my problem. It could even be my entire problem...


I probably will donate the paper to my kids' school. They could put them to good use. But I find the (not even fancy) pens very difficult to let go... 


I have a problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment